State Water Efficiency and Enhancement Program (SWEEP)
What is SWEEP?
The State Water Efficiency and Enhancement Program (SWEEP) of the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA) is a grant program for California agricultural operations to implement irrigation systems that reduce greenhouse gases and save water.
Eligible system components include (among others) soil moisture monitoring, drip systems, switching to low pressure irrigation systems, pump retrofits, variable frequency drives and installation of renewable energy to reduce on-farm water use and energy.
How does it work?
The grant has a solicitation period in which operations can apply. CDFA will release grant guidelines which explain funding availablility, the application process, and selection criteria. The grant is submitted online through the CDFA’s application portal. CDFA’s SWEEP webpage shows if they are accepting grant applications, the timeline for the application process, and how to apply.
CDFA SWEEP webpage: grant program information, application resources and tools, timeline, grant notifications email sign-up
Videos about SWEEP in English and Spanish:
- How to Apply to the California State Water Efficiency and Enhancement Program (English)
- How to Apply to the California State Water Efficiency and Enhancement Program (Spanish)
- On Farm Water Use Efficiency: Irrigation Management Practices that Save Water and Save Energy (English)
- On Farm Water Use Efficiency: Irrigation Management Practices That Save Water and Save Energy (Spanish)
- Get Cash to Pay for On Farm Irrigation and Energy Efficiency Improvements in California (English)
- Get Cash to Pay for On Farm Irrigation + Energy Efficiency Improvements in California (Spanish)
Video of local farmer Dave Repetto on the benefits of water conservation
Irrigation Management (California Ag Water Stewardship Initiative): overview of irrigation efficiency and management, lots of resources at bottom of page.
CDFA’s SWEEP Program: firstname.lastname@example.org
Local assistance with grant application: Kasey Butler, Kasey@sanmateoRCD.org, 650-712-7765 x108
Other assistance for water use efficiency projects:
Interest in irrigation efficiency and/or water storage projects with the RCD? See our Water for Farms, Fish and People program.
You may also be able to receive assistance from NRCS (scroll to bottom of the page) through their Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP).
Help the RCD
Make a tax deductible donation today.
Get news and updates delivered quarterly.