In the wake of violent acts against members of Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities here in California and across the country, San Mateo RCD stands in solidarity with AAPI communities and the AAPI members of our RCD family. We join in calls to #StopAAPIHate and #StopAsianHate.
We support a diverse, equitable, inclusive & just environment for our communities and our partners.
There is no place for hate in California. There is no place for hate in San Mateo County.
The global community of Asian and Pacific Islanders have experienced a dramatic increase in anti-Asian hate crimes over the past year. In the US alone, there have been nearly 3,800 documented anti-Asian attacks since March 2020, with almost 40% reported in California, and the majority of them perpetuated against women and elders. (Stop AAPI Hate, 2021.)
White supremacy and bigotry are emboldened by silence and complicity. Our intention is to be an ally to vulnerable communities, and we are committed to learning how we can be better partners in this effort. More information, opportunities to donate, and what to do if you witness hate are available at stopaapihate.org.
5 Ways to Help If You are Witnessing Hate
- Take Action: Approach the targeted person, introduce yourself, and offer support.
- Actively Listen: Ask before taking any actions and respect the targeted person’s wishes. Monitor the situation if needed.
- Ignore Attacker: Using your discretion, attempt to calm the situation by using your voice, body language, or distractions.
- Accompany: If the situation escalates, invite the targeted person to join you in leaving.
- Offer Emotional Support: Help the targeted person by asking how they’re feeling. Assist them in figuring out what they want to do next.
Want more training on how to help if you witness hate? Sign up for Bystander Training: https://www.ihollaback.org/bystanderintervention/
Resources for API Community Members (thanks to Seeds of Awareness for their efforts in compiling many of these)
Mental Health Resources
Clinical Treatment to API